As we wrap up 2016, we look back at what has been an eventful year. It seems like yesterday when we quit our jobs to start GoPo. What started as an idea, when we were stumped by how horribly misleading reviews on leading forums could be, has now morphed into something much more exciting!
Those of you who live from one "long weekend" to another fantasizing about that extraordinary vacation you're going to take and then spending the weekend at home going nowhere, may relate. We usually open all possible travel forums on different tabs, while at work or in bed, and then get completely confused by the big two questions: Where to Go? & What to Do? . End result: We either get mind-boggled by opening too many articles/forums or close everything and stay home! Sounds familiar? We've been there too. Thus, GoPo was born with the idea of enabling anyone to have a fantastic experience while discovering a new activity or place.
Another thing that GoPo & 2016 has brought us is... "armchair wanderlust" as we earmark places we want to visit, 'sometime'. Some of these are places we remember from our school geography books and hence, they've made an impression. Here's our bucket list:
1. Kerala and more specifically, it's backwaters: This one has been on the list for a long time but several jinxed attempts at planning this trip has ensured it retains it's spot. Calm Waters, Lush Greenery, Laid-back People... need we say more?
2. Magnetic Hill: Ever since some friends did a trip to Ladakh, this has been firmly entrenched in our minds. Imagine, rolling uphill without any effort. Some say it's the effect of gravity, some say it's because of an optical illusion that makes a downhill slope appear 'uphill'... either way, our curiosity is piqued & this definitely is something we need to experience for ourselves. Just a thought... wish there was a way of harnessing this "anti gravitational" effect when exercising!
3.The Dunes of the Rann of Kutch & Jaisalmer: Spending a night stargazing on the sand dunes, with oneself for company is something we'd definitely want to try. Many years back, we spent a late evening on an isolated, semi-private beach at Goa looking up at the stars with only the sound of the waves in the background. It was perfect! The silence around brought with it a feeling of pensiveness and startling clarity.
4. Tonglu: Remember "K2"? We'd nearly forgotten about it until we read that Tonglu provides an awesome view of Mount Kanchenjunga. Suddenly, it all came rushing back. There's something humbling (sobering, even) about seeing a mountain range, no matter how far or close you are to it.
5. Pangong Lake: The movie '3 Idiots' introduced us to Pangong Tso and we've been in love with the Azure blue ever since. A cousin recently did a trip there and her pictures have left us wanting to go there even more.
6. Chadar Trek: Well, to be honest, this is only on one of our bucket lists purely, on grounds that the other one hibernates whenever the temperature falls below 20°. Also because, this is said to be one of the most taxing treks and is said to require extreme levels of fitness... Oh well! We'll get there next year... or the year after, when we actually fulifll our resolution to get fitter! :P
Apart from the ones above, there are several that are not there just for the sake of brevity. That being said, we LOVE to hear travel stories. So, if you've been bitten by the travel and wanderlust bug, do share those stories with us. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you soon in the new year!
Avishek & Ananya (Co-Founders, GoPo)
Travel plans can be quite a challenge to draw up. Stumped by where to go and what to do? Fret not, our Experts have you covered! Consult an Expert on GoPo to get customized failproof travel itineraries and experiences.
Looking for some quick, free advice while on the move? Download the free GoPo App today to connect with Experts & Locals, with varied areas of expertise, and find answers to your questions, on the go. GoPo is available on:
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Don't Miss Out!
Stop doing more of the same things... Discover new experiences!
Sign up today!